mandag 1. desember 2008

The Color Black

I read in a booklet by Shri Mahendranath that the robe color used by the Adinath Sampradaya was black. He said that he had only used it on odd ocations but prefered the orange robe most commonly used by Sannyasins in India. Personally I like the color black. It only seems natural to me that if an Adinath or Kaulanath was to wear clothes, they should be black.

In hindu tradition deep blue or pitch black represents the emptiness of space and since Kaulanaths prefer to be skyclad it only seems right that we should be dressed in black, if clothes were required (in Norway it gets a bit cold in the winter).

This reminds me of a story...

One night, last year, when I was walking home with my daughter, she asked me: "Dad, today we learned at school that red is for vigour, blue is for soulfulness and yellow is for creativity. But what does black stand for?"

Great question!

I told her, "Black is Kali Ma's color."

"Who is Kali Ma?"

I told her that Kali Ma is the great mother of all that exists. "You know how you used to live in Moms belly before you were born?"

"Yeah?"

"Just like that, all the stars and planets, live inside Kali Ma's belly."

"Really?"

"Yes, and she is very protective of Her children, that is why She looks a bit scary. One time some demons tried to be mean towards Her children, and She became so angry that She was about to tear apart the world. The only one that could save us was Lord Shiva, but He could not come as a grown up. He had to transform Himself into a little baby and crawl towards Her. Only then Kali Ma stopped. She lifted Him up to Her breast and fed Him like a baby, because She loves Her children so much."

"Am I one of Her children, Dad?"

"Yes you are."

"Are you one of Her children?"

"Yes, I am."

"But where is She?"

"She is everywhere. In the night sky, in the trees and the flowers, the earth and rocks. You can see Her everywhere."

"I want to kiss Kali Ma!", she said, and kneeled towards the ground and was about to kiss the asfalt road. Then she stopped.

"I think it's too dirty"

"I think you're right." I said.

My daughter is a great mentor. Even though she was moved with love for Kali Ma she saw the reality of the ground. Too dirty for kissing :-)

Jai Kali Ma!

1 kommentar:

Anonym sa...

Great story my friend!

-Pratyaksanath